Wiki Index

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Saphiria, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

Hey,
    I was browsing through the wiki, and I noticed the wiki index doesn't follow the lore to well, and it could use a makeover. It mentions various things that I was told via PM from @hastearms can't be mentioned (bandits). Examples:
    • "Harvesting a wheat field and selling it off-shore will result in food shortage on the island, influencing the prices of bread on the market.", well, not true, wheat grows back within seconds.
    • "A mayor setting sales taxes too high may actually ruin his gold income, sending the city into a crisis and making the banks collapse." First off, we don't have mayors, secondly, we only have one bank, and it can't "collapse". You could say "Minister of Trade" instead of mayor since he handles taxes, but you should also mention the Prefect, because he/she does the property tax, and I think death tax according to @Tomas (may have been misunderstanding on my part).
    • "influencing the prices of bread on the market." Maybe it just hasn't been added yet, but prices don't change currently.
    • "Killing off a group bandits may result in an overpopulation of wolves, doing more harm than good." First off, it mentions bandits, and secondly, wolfs have set spawn points. I know this because I sat at farmed a bunch of wolf meat. They just respawn in the same spot.
    I know this may just be because the whole cause and effect thing hasn't been added, and if that is so, sorry for wasting your time. But, I do know mayors, bandits, and a few other things shouldn't be mentioned.

* Additionally, you may want to get an image that relates to the wiki more, and completely fits in the space provided. (Looks a little weird and disproportional currently). Possibly make it related to the wiki and lore. Maybe a book and quill, or a picture of that dungeon cave system with slime cubes.

Incase you don't know what I am talking about:
    Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 11.21.01 PM.png

I love the wiki, it is very fun to read. Thank you for spending so much time writing it up for us, (@hastearms & @cman64).

Cheers,

2. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

I will leave this for @hastearms

3. Saphiria

Okay, I just wanted to make you aware of it. :)

4. hastearms

hastearms Disciple of the Krispy Kreme Donut Gods Moderator Wiki

I'll leave this one as is because one player harvesting all the wheat will significantly affect other players' abilities to acquire aforementioned wheat. The respawn rate is also not quite seconds - it is pretty fast, but it gives players enough time to think about what they need and where they need it from. I'll consider this more as time goes on but for now I'm in the boat with thinking this one is okay.

Resolved to "A Prefect or Minister of Trade setting sales taxes too high may actually ruin their gold income, possibly sending the city into a crisis and significantly influencing player wealth and value of currency."

Should be a change in the future. As this part is just an introduction of what's to come and what we're going to offer, this is a good exposition of what the server is about and I will be keeping this as is.

Bandits are no secret, as they are a future change that should hopefully be out with our main release. I had pm'ed you about another subject we don't want to discuss yet - check your mails and you should remember exactly what I'm talking about ;)

Thanks for your help Saphiria. These were some important changes that needed to be made - appreciate your assistance!

5. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

The Wiki introduction is correct - all of the things it mentions is what we have planned. Keep in mind the server is evolving fast. What you are currently playing is very early beta. When someone stumbles across our wiki, it is important they understand our intentions and learn about where the server is headed, not necessarily where it is at this very moment.

The four points you bring up are not incorrect, it is exactly what we are going for. I think it is more accurate to see the current state of the game erver as "incorrect", as it is not reflecting all of our ideas and plans.

To address the points specifically:

• Even in beta now, you have the ability to either export goods or use them in crafting. If you export your resources, someone else won't be able to use them in crafting. This will be even more true in the future, as we add NPC crafting and NPC shops. You will then have the ability to either export goods (remove them from the island), or sell them to an NPC shop (allow others to use it in the crafting process).
    • Banks will work very differently in the future. They will be able to loan out money from the bank's account. This will be a tricky balance, overlooked by the Trade Minister. What this means is if the politicians aren't careful, the bank itself can loan out more than it has and will collapse. People will lose access to their deposited money and the island will be in an economical crisis.
    • The export requisitions will very soon change their price based on the past trade patterns. If people only export bread, it will go down in value, while not exporting any diamonds means it will generally go up in value. This will hopefully encourage players to craft unfamiliar items - and will avoid a situation where players are mass producing a certain item because it is the easiest to make.
    • Hunting will soon be a lot more complex. What you are reading on the Wiki is very much the plan. NPCs will attack each other - if bandits are hunting wolves for food, then killing off the bandits will lead to having more wolves on the island.

6. Saphiria

Okay, makes sense.

Hunting sounds really cool.. One question on it though, will they spawn at random locations (when its fully implanted)?

7. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

When it is fully fully implemented (we are not quite there yet), animals will be breeding with each other to spawn new ones. So they will likely spawn where there is a lot of them already. Next to that, they will need to hunt and drink, so animals like wolves will come to rivers and lakes every now and then. As a hunter you might be able to predict where they will go and use that to your advantage. :)

8. Saphiria

Nice! I can't wait to have other perfection like things to do. It may bring more people to the server. Because, not everyone is a crafter. Once you can get money from politics, hunting, farming, fishing, blacksmith, merchant, etc I think a lot of the beta testers who don't play anymore will re-join.