Character Deaths?

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by GiantLion11, Jul 2, 2016.

1. GiantLion11

GiantLion11 Citizen

The bottom of the wiki's roleplaying page says, "So what if you die? Who cares if you lose and Arm/leg/etc? Make it a part of your own story because that is what you’re doing." I understand fully that in order to keep the realism in roleplay people have to be able to die, but how do you plan on enforcing this?

A problem I've seen with other servers is that people get very upset when they have to give up a character they've worked so hard on, possibly losing all their hard-earned money, land, gear, etc. Most of us would probably resort to powergaming if it meant saving a character we've worked hard on developing. Will there be some kind of "inheritance" system where a player can keep some of their gear, even if their next character won't be related to their previous one? Or something else? Or nothing it all?

On a related topic, how far will people be able to go concerning combat and criminal characters? Obviously, the RP world can't be all rainbows and sunshine, because everyone likes to be the bad guy once in a while. How are you guys going to keep players from killing each other too much, and will the victims have any choice in the matter?

Sorry if this was covered somewhere else, but I looked under the Help and Wiki subforums, as well as the wiki itself and couldn't find anything.

2. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

I think that if you actually die you respawn in the hospital. So I guess if you die in RP you can do that too.

3. Alir99

Alir99 The Guy Who Does Stuff Moderator Community Team

The following is my grasp and past experience with the server, so it might not be true.

So let me try and answer what I can.
    In Prototype 1, when you died, you respawned in a medical centre and you paid some money for their work on 'bringing you back to life'. Your character would also have been allowed to continue, so you wouldn't have to make a new character.

Regarding your second point, we know that some people may have "violent" characters. In order to stop them from unleashing World War 3, we do have some progress limits. One is their bio check. I will check everyone's bio before being accepted, and if I feel like your character is too violent, I will ask you to change it. One of the few things we don't tolerate here is someone ruining the fun of other people.

The second limit is the environments response to your characters actions. If your character is violent, don't be surprised if NPCs are not that cooperative with you. Other players may probably not be cooperative with you either. If your character is too out of control, we may need to have a chat and sort it out.

Hopefully @tcvs or @Tomas can fully answer it.

4. GiantLion11

GiantLion11 Citizen

That sounds pleasing so far. I figured the bio system would weed out some of the people just looking to get a laugh from player-killing, and it's nice to know you kind of have a karma system in place for the NPCs

5. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

At this point in time, death is not permanent. Currently upon "death", you will show up in the hospital. Although this is the case, in our future updates, there will be a large change to this system. We are not ready to discuss this topic with the public, but we think it will work well.

As for the criminals and violent characters, the aim is their reputation is affected with the various guilds. Which will alter their progress through the game. This should help manage random killings and other negative activities. We also have a large plan for the crime system that we hope to be addressing soon.

All in all, there is many plans that we have yet to cover. Only time will allow for these various systems to be implemented. Be patient with us as development progresses. The MF team operates on volunteer hours, and most of us are full time students or have day jobs. We are currently on in the Prototype phase, things will be constantly change as we see fit.

Hopefully this answers your questions. I hope to continue seeing your feedback once the server goes live.

Nico and Alir99 like this.
  6. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

On permanent death:
    There are no immediate plans to enforce permanent death. Players put quite a lot of time into their character bios, server progress, making NPC relationships. Losing all that because of getting killed is not very fun. If we do enable permanent death in the future, I think it will be an option. Something akin to mobile clicker games, where you progress and once you feel like you had enough, you decide to start over and slightly stronger. In our case, you might feel like you played your character enough, you could decide to not respawn again and instead create a new character with some special perks based on your progression.

Players killing other players:
    One thing we are keen on are moral decisions. If a player is travelling out in the wilderness, nothing is stopping other players from killing them. That said, the killer will lose a lot of standing with the "good" factions, to the point where killing someone is actually a very unfavourable thing to do. If someone goes on a killing spree, they won't be able to get close to Elpida anymore - effectively cutting themselves out of a big part of the server. If a player is planning the perfect assassination for weeks and then executes it properly, knowing they will face the consequences, I think we can try and support that gameplay. That case does not seem that toxic and may make things more interesting. All in all, I think killing other players and especially innocent NPCs is not the way to go. It is my hope our server will teach people that being a jerk is not the best path to take.

Loss on death:
    There will be systems in place to encourage players not to die. You will lose part of your money (and drop items) when you die. You should always store your valuables in a bank to avoid loss of important items. I think that adds an element of danger to exploration. That said, in the future, death will not just be a bad thing. It will allow you to get to content otherwise impossible to reach. Won't say more, everything along those lines is secret for now. :D

GiantLion11, Nico and Alir99 like this.
  7. Alir99

;) very secret.

8. QuannTan

QuannTan Retired Staff Retired Staff

"Angelic Ore here I come!" *Jumps off cliff* xD

Nico likes this.
  9. Skullface_Skully

Skullface_Skully Citizen

What if someone goes on a kill spree and a group of players join together to kill that person. Would that group be considered murderers or people serving justice?

10. QuannTan

I'd say they are just murderers as well.. But, I mean, it all depends on how the town see's vigilantes justice. But personally I think it should be left up to the guards or bounty hunters.. Or whatever.

Nico likes this.
  11. Alir99

Depends on who's perspective you're asking. Some would support their action, some won't. That's why we have guards and people in command, so people don't just go on rampages and do whatever they want. To make it short, you do bad stuff, you will get a bad response. You do good stuff, you get a good response. You guys are really overthinking it.

12. Skullface_Skully

Skullface_Skully Citizen

But overthinking is fun!

What if your job is being an executioner? And what If you work in Elpida, would you get kicked out of your job if you do to many executions?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  13. Alir99

An executioner is paid for by the government, and so they would be allowed to work and 'execute'. However, this does not mean that they are allowed to go around and kill whoever they want. Only those criminals who have been trialed and been found guilty will be executed.

14. Skullface_Skully

Skullface_Skully Citizen

Also, going along with my last question. If someone commits a crime, will they be put in jail or would they be executed? Also, would trespassing be considered a crime?

15. Alir99

Depends on how serious the crime is and who is in the government at that moment. If it's a repeated criminal(so he has been caught many times), then maybe execution. If he's been found guilty, but it's his first time, maybe just some time in prison. But like I said, it all depends on who is in charge of Elpida at that moment in time, and how generous he/she is.

Trespassing is indeed a crime. Some people will have access to certain places of the map due to their job, while others won't. If someone is found trespassing, their fate is decided by the person in charge of Elpida, like I mentioned before.

16. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

All of these "crimes" discussed are not implemented yet. They will be part of the criminal update, something quite far away still. The reason this will take a while is it is a complex design gameplay wise. Being put into jail for X amount of time is not very fun. We will either need to add content to do in jail (which would need to be substantial for it to be fun), or come up with another solution.

When it comes to attacking people and reputation. If someone attacks an innocent villager (or one of the "good guys"), I'd imagine the attacker would be flagged as a dangerous individual. If another group of players attacked this dangerous person, they would not lose reputation with the citizens. In fact, killing the dangerous person could even improve their villager standing significantly. This ensures that a killing spree can be stopped quickly, because players can help in the defence.

Similarly, I would imagine if you kill someone who has a very very bad reputation with faction X, your reputation would actually increase with faction X. So if a bandit group hates a wealthy trader, killing him might do you well among the bandits.

Punishment severity (again part of the criminal update) would be decided by the Executive Magistrate. That in elected political position. The name has nothing to do with executions - they are responsible for the guard, army, exploration efforts and law in Elpida.

17. QuannTan

I mean.. Should prison be fun??.. Maybe if you just put a hole or something in the prison and give them a hoe and say "Get to digging." Because, i mean if they are in there they deserve it.. Plus you could also just say "After youve dug X amount of blocks you can leave." ;P

Nico likes this.
  18. Alir99

Players are in adventure mode on the server, so they do not have permission to build or destroy anything, so that would be tricky to do. Anyway, these are all part of the criminal update, which is a long time away, so we will have plenty of time to think them through.

19. QuannTan

Yeah, that is true! :D

But hey, overthinnking things is fun! Thanks for the answers as well! :3

Nico likes this.