Spigot vs Bukkit

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by MisterErwin, Jul 30, 2015.

1. MisterErwin

MisterErwin Administrator Administrator Developer

Both, but I prefer the bukkit community, as it's more open, nicer and without profit.
    (The Spigot community was back then ... not that nice (to say it politely))

And spigot likes to claim things, like claiming they are the official successor etc :)

2. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

Without profit is the one thing I envy, other than that it's a great place.

3. Cldfire

Cldfire Citizen Retired Staff

Aye, the misunderstandings between the Bukkit community and the Spigot community...

Everyone needs to back up and look at the big picture, IMO. This is Minecraft, we're all in it together, and everyone's done something important. We should be one group, not a bunch of groups fighting over who did more, or what, or when.

TL;DR: Spigot and Bukkit need to co-exist.

4. MisterErwin

Yupp, but now the spigot team has quite some work to do: They have to "update" craftbukkit to 1.9 - Which is something never have done in that big fashion.

But let's see how it works and when sponge is ready :)

5. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

It will be interesting if Sponge will be able to keep up. Considering how long it takes for Forge to update with minecraft, I am not sure whether they will just fall behind...

6. Cldfire

There is now SpongeVanilla, a stand-alone server that doesn't use Forge.
    Updating Bukkit to 1.8 was quite a chore as well. Spigot will do it. Again, we should be in this together, and if anything, the Bukkit community and the Spigot community should be working together on 1.9. Instead it appears as if the Bukkit community is standing on the sidelines screaming that Spigot can't do it, Spigot is lame, etc. When in reality, Spigot is just another part of the community that's keeping Minecraft alive.
    I personally don't feel Sponge will overtake Bukkit/Spigot for quite a while, but yes, we'll see.

7. Saphiria

I think Spigot is far ahead of Sponge, and that they will most likely never overcome Spigot... I have also heard about SpongeVanillia.

---------- Post merged by Saphiria

If you don't feel Spigot is the official successor, then who do you think is?

8. MisterErwin

Sponge is functional, Its possible to make plugins with it.
    Since I've made plugins for both (bukkit API (incl. spigot's additions) and sponge), I have to say, that sponge is quite nice.

Quite a few things are different. But you no longer need to use NMS code (version dependent) and debugging is easier.

I would define it in another way: Spigot is one of the successors, like sponge.

Quite a few contributors of bukkit are now developing sponge. Not so many moved to spigot :p

9. Cldfire

All I can say is, I wish Sponge the best of luck at making something better than Craftbukkit. They certainly have an uphill battle ahead of them, but hey, props to them for wanting to take it on in the first place.

10. Saphiria

I don't think any moved to Spigot.

Sponge is just for modded servers, correct?

11. tcvs

No, was just looking at their website. They also seem to have a vanilla support. Will make it more difficult for them to support all these different versions though.

12. MisterErwin

Kinda true. But Forge added that feature some time ago (the feature to allow vanilla clients)

13. Cldfire

Sponge is (hopefully) going to bring vanilla, plugins and mods all together, at last.

14. tcvs

When I was looking at their repositories, on GitHub, they have Vanilla and Forge separated. So it looks like if you wanted completely vanilla you could.

MisterErwin likes this.