Prototype Much higher Max Hunger

Discussion in 'Server Suggestions' started by ParanoiaComplex, Jan 2, 2016.

1. ParanoiaComplex

ParanoiaComplex Verified Traveler

It would be interesting to have a max hunger of about 3-7 Times the current value.
    Advantages:
    • It means more time to run and fight
    • Lets you think about more things other than "Will I make it to the Mining Village before my hunger goes down?"
    • Easier to gauge when your next meal must be
    • Means the player can be focused on eating more food in a shorter amount of time compared to small meals constantly.
    This would also be better than just getting food with a higher saturation since it gives the player better warning before they set out on a journey.

Example:
    Scenario 1: 100 Hunger Max, 300 Saturation
    Scenario 2: 300 Hunger Max, 0 Saturation

After finishing his mid-day meal, the player is walking/running around town doing his thing when he hears about an event happening in some mines somewhere. With adventure in his head, he sets off on his journey only stopping to look once at his hunger bar.

Scenario 1: Player sees his hunger bar is full and has no idea that he has spent half his effective hunger running around like an idiot. Player precedes to the mines, finds some scary skeletons, and dies a horribly hungry death.
    Scenario 2: Player notices that his hunger bar is half-full prompting the suggestion that he may not have enough time in the mines before he's hungry again. He turns around, grabs a quick bite to eat at the local McDonald's, and heads off to kick Blue Boss's ass.

Thus, it can be seen that a more accurate hunger bar--one without saturation, is more informative to the standard adventuring player. Also, a hunger bar with a high max hunger stat will allow the player to just think about a lot of food, some of the time, instead of a bit of food, all of the time.

Cldfire likes this.
  2. Alir99

Alir99 The Guy Who Does Stuff Moderator Community Team

Hi. It's a good idea, but I don't think it will be doable. For example, if the hunger bar is 3x bigger, it means the player will need 3x more food to fully replenish the hunger. Which means more time is needed to make the food. Also it will take longer for the player to eat the food, again 3x longer, which will make fighting mobs harder, as the player will spend a long time eating mid-fight. My second point is that it won't be realistic. Take yourself for example, if you eat 3x more, you wouldn't feel well and won't be able to do activities such as running or fighting, even staying healthy will be difficult. You would turn fat wouldn't you? These are my reasons and opinions, although I don't have the final vote here.

3. ParanoiaComplex

You're not supposed to get caught hungry mid-fight. The point of this is that the player will be able to be out and about longer without having to worry about replenishing food while dungeon delving. Yes you will need 3x more food to max out the hunger bar if max hunger is 3x more than it is now, but the hunger will still decay at the same rate. Instead of having to eat again while jumping around for 10 minutes, you'll have to eat after doing that for 30 minutes. The amount of food you'll have to eat is a matter of balance, but--
    • You won't have to fill the hunger bar to 100% if you don't want or have the means to. Hunger will still work the same way if you have the bar filled to a fraction.
    • The time it takes to eat food is negligible in the context of minutes.
    It's roleplay. You can just pretend that the food in the game is 3x smaller portions. I mean if you don't roleplay now, then how does an entire loaf of bread only fill your hunger bar up a few notches? What kind and amount of food you're eating is arbitrary and just subject to roleplay or even just your resourcepack. In my suggestion, something between 60 and 140 would be the max hunger (normally 20) and there would be no saturation (I very much dislike this mechanic), The hunger restore values of food need not be changed and we can all pretend that Minecraftians have hollow stomachs and need lots of nutrition

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Isaiha likes this.
  4. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

Also keep mind though, high quality bread has much higher saturation and hunger amount. Sure there might need to be more adjustment. However for the most part. One loaf of Apple bread is very filling.

5. Alir99

Ok I might have understood you wrong. Just to clarify, I wasn't opposing you, just stating my opinion.

6. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

Hello,
    I love the idea, because in my opinion saturation isn't good at all. One second I have full hunger, next thing I know it is empty. It's very unreliable.

7. tcvs

What foods are you eating?

8. Saphiria

See thats just it. I eat all kinds of food. I don't remember what I ate last so I had to guess if it was high or low saturation. It would be nice if there was a system implanted like said above so we can better judge when we need to replenish ourselves again.

9. Alir99

But what I'm confused about is on your screen, will there be 3x more meat icons for your hunger, or will each meat icon represent 3x more food. So for example if each icon represented 10 hunger, will each icon now represent 30 hunger?

10. Saphiria

It could go either way. I like the latter personally. It would be a little cluttered. Though, you could have two bars of hunger and two bars of lives.

11. ParanoiaComplex

As Saphiria mentioned, both ways can work. I'd prefer the 3x more food for each icon which can be done without client mods by just modifying stamina decay rate and food restore values for food.

12. Alir99

It's a good idea. That's what I was worried about at first, the screen being too cluttered. However if we're doing 3x more food per icon then that's a great idea.

13. tcvs

Food will be getting a pretty big change later this month. Details will come soon.

14. Saphiria

Yeah, it minimizes the amount of space taken, and everyone is happy.

I am very excited to see this.

15. tcvs

@MisterErwin will be the master mind behind that update. So keep an eye on him :p

16. llyrios

llyrios Retired Staff Retired Staff

I think the hunger bar is way too short in vanilla minecraft so making it last longer would be great! So I hope the update will do something along these lines, just makes life far easier and a more enjoyable experience

17. Saphiria

It will be nice to finally have something else on our minds besides food.

18. llyrios

llyrios Retired Staff Retired Staff