Better wiki

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by FloThePony, Apr 5, 2016.

1. FloThePony

FloThePony Citizen

Our wiki is good.
    It isn't integrated with XenForo though, meaning everyone needs two accounts to get the full experience on the website, the wiki and the forums.
    I was thinking that we could get XenCarta, and have a wiki, inside the forums.
    SpigotMC and MC-Market both uses XenCarta for their wiki, and I thought it would be nice to have.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xencarta-wiki-pro.1690/

2. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

So, we actually had this. We switched recently for reasons unknown to me (I left the team during the time they switched). I loved that wiki, but I guess it didn't fit our needs.

As for the current one, it just needs a little love. It shouldn't be to hard to make it look better. You also are not supposed to get an account on the wiki, the accounts are for staff only (our wiki will be managed by staff only). Though, it would be cool to allow veteran users post wiki articles on things.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I am sure someone who is more involved with the wiki can reply soon with additional information.

3. Alir99

Alir99 The Guy Who Does Stuff Moderator Community Team

4. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

@FloThePony

The Wiki is currently running on the MediaWiki platform, which is the same software powering Wikipedia - it's incredibly powerful and clean when it comes to writing Wiki pages. In comparison to Xencarta (or any other Xenforo Wiki plugin), it is much faster, has more functions, is free and is more stable. I'm personally quite happy with the Wiki currently.

The only downside, as you are mentioning, is the lack of integration with Xenforo. This is not an issue in the long term. The plan is for Xenforo to only be one part of our website, not an overarching platform for everything. As we add more pieces to the website, it will be more obvious. We will be reworking the landing page at some point, adding a Stats section, adding a donation section. Next to those, you'll have Xenforo for the forums and MediaWiki for the Wiki.

I think this approach is the correct way of doing things in the long term. It is more modular and imposes less restrictions on us. That is not to say the Wiki won't change - it will hopefully keep evolving and improving. It will stay as a MediaWiki though.

5. FloThePony

FloThePony Citizen

Ah okay. Thanks.
    umk
    Thank you!

6. Alir99

Alir99 The Guy Who Does Stuff Moderator Community Team

Hastearms is in charge of wiki, so I wanted to see his opinion on it. That's why I tagged him.

7. hastearms

hastearms Disciple of the Krispy Kreme Donut Gods Moderator Wiki

Yeah, I'm with Tomas on this. I don't fully understand the whole different technologies, but I find the wiki we have now much easier to navigate and use. So basically, I'm in agreement with all of Tomas' points.

8. Saphiria

@hastearms @Tomas @FloThePony - I feel like getting a skin for MediaWiki that is like this would be nice. I think it would make the wiki way more appealing to the eye.

9. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

Pssshhh, Wikis are supposed to make your eyes bleed.

:p

10. Saphiria

That is probably the one thing I hate about most Wikis. They make my eyes bleed to death.

11. FloThePony

FloThePony Citizen

ooh! 10/10

12. Saphiria

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find that.

FloThePony likes this.