Barbers and cloth shops

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Nico, May 8, 2016.

1. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

I haven't even played on the server yet and got accepted just yesterday, but I think this is a cool idea and it doesn't seem like it is already implemented so I thought I might as wel suggest it.

Around Christmas I found this website that added a Christmas hat to your skin, and thought this could be used to make barbers :D
    When you take a new haircut it downloads you skin, edits the hair and then for re-uploading you would have to give them your minecraft password and stuff but that we be fixed by adding these 3 options:

-You can choose to enter your credentials every time so they are not stored on the server.
    -You can choose to remember it so it will be stored on the server, like, I trust you people not to steal my account
    -Manual download link sent in chat to upload it yourself

This same thing would be possible for cloth, or robes idk what the current rage is in acient greece.

Ofcourse it would be kinda hard to say what haircut you want if you cant see them, so maybe NPC's or player heads could do that. However that most likely would force you to buy extra MC accounts just to make them have to good haircut and robes.

I know this most likely won't be accepted since it would be a lot of work and I dont think most people will just give their credentials, but I just wanted to suggest it because even if you dont accept it it's always nice to know your options ;)

QuannTan likes this.
  2. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

So, first off, brilliant idea. I love it. Let me address each thing:
    • First off, we will never ask for a users password.
    • Secondly, we will never store a password.
    • Thirdly, the downloading thing is possible, but a pain. It would be a lot of work to change a skin.
    My proposition is that we use our NPC plugin to disguise the player as their current person with a custom hat on it (made by us). I have seen it done before and it would take some work, but it is possible for sure.

We also do not have and current plans to add this, but I can add this to the list of many things we would possibly like to add in the future. Currently, our main priority is to finish the current plugins and then we will work on other "perks".

Thanks again for the idea / suggestion!

Cheers,
    Saphiria

3. Alir99

Alir99 The Guy Who Does Stuff Moderator Community Team

Just to add on to what @Saphiria said, this might be something we do in the future, but for now we don't think that it's a necessity. I think our developers need to make sure that the plugins work properly and without fault, then when the necessary stuff are completed, we can turn to these neat "add-ons".

4. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

Well, I know Minecraft has this remote skin upload feature so you can send a link to the player in the chat which will send him to minecraft.net and then they can authenticate themself without you knowing the password at all, only problem would be that it does ofcourse open the web browser xD
    This would be a nice example:
    https://minecraft.net/nl/profile/sk...ins/skin_20160429063345175531.png#/?_k=vilw93
    Just a random skin, I dont even know what it looks like, but it's a good demonstration of what I mean xD

QuannTan likes this.
  5. Saphiria

Hmm, alright, but they would still have to go into the browser and add it, right? I think that using the NPC plugin is the best bet.

6. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

Well, yes.
    But how could you use an NPC plugin for only a haircut without overwriting the whole skin?

Sorry if I ask a lot of question ._.

QuannTan likes this.
  7. Saphiria

No problem at all, I love questions!

I honestly do not know a lot about the NPC plugin, but I do know it is possible to act like your another player. So, I believe we could simple make it so it belies you are X, which is a blank skin with just a hat. I am not sure though.

8. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

From what I know that would mean making the actual player invisable and teleporting the NPC everywhere he moves, so a blank skin with a hat would overwrite the actual skin.

I really dont think this is possible without editing the skin, but meh. What do I know? It's been a while since I last worked with something like this =3

QuannTan likes this.
  9. Saphiria

I have no idea as well. I am not developer in any way. But, the one thing I do know is that disguising the player works. :p

10. Alir99

Alir99 The Guy Who Does Stuff Moderator Community Team

Although we're not doing this atm, you could always ask a developer if it is possible in the future? @tcvs @MisterErwin

11. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

That's a really interesting idea. It's fairly complex to implement. In other words, you get fairly little for a lot of development work. We will definitely add it to our list, but there are other more exciting features we would rather work on! I don't see us working on this for a long time. The list of features we want to implement is long. :D

Nico and Saphiria like this.
  12. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

Currently, the cost of implementing this far exceeds the benefit. As @Tomas said, it will be joining are large wish list :)

13. Cldfire

Cldfire Citizen Retired Staff

Alir99 likes this.
  14. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

Yeah, I saw that earlier. And I love inventivetalents plugins :3

But that would require another player to already have the skin.
    Let's say I want a haircut. Using this mechanic you might find a skin with the haircut I want, but that would change my whole skin. I don't think that would be a good option.

I also think this is what @Saphiria meant with NPCs?

I also love discussing stuff, I already feel so accepted =3

QuannTan likes this.
  15. MisterErwin

MisterErwin Administrator Administrator Developer

@Nico The skin of a player is signed by mojang. So we would have to cache it.

And regarding skin/name changer: The first one to come up with that were lenis0012 and ferrybig (if I recall it correctly. At least on the bukkit forums).

And mojang has so "nice" limits on everything.

So we either work with these limits or get their private yggdrasil key (You guess what will be easier :p).

Alir99 and Nico like this.
  16. Cldfire

Which is solved by having a backend that grabs your current skin, applies the haircut to it, sets it as the skin of an account under control of MF, and then applies it to your player on the server. You don't have to enter any of your credentials for this to work.

That being said, it's a lot of work to set something like that up (not the mention the cost of the accounts to set skins on) and yields very little reward.

Something like this could also be accomplished through a 3D resourcepack.

Nico likes this.
  17. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

Thanks for explaining it :)

But just to explain it a bit more; It isn't possible to make a NPC or something with a skin that isn't used by a player, right?

I actually thought of that, but I figured it would be too expensive to be even mentioned and then totally forgot about it ._.
    But now you mention it, it does seem to solve all problems only to be adding the one that it is expensive.

And how do you mean 3D resourcepack? I believe that would mean putting a block in the helmet slot, meaning the player can't wear helmets anymore?
    I could be wrong on that, though :D

EDIT: Btw, I really love the amount of support everyone has given this post so far. It might be kind of annoying for you to keep replying to that one kid who doesn't want to shut up, but for me it's really interesting =D

QuannTan likes this.
  18. Cldfire

Essentially, you'd have to have hats / helmets sit a bit farther off of the player's head. Then you would have a different model for each haircut, for each helmet (easily accomplishable with the ability to have different models for different damage values that was added in 1.9, although a lot of work to put the models together).

The helmet would be on top of the hair, which would then sit on the head.

Again, a lot of work for very little benefit.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Tomas and Nico like this.
  19. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

Mhm, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for explaining :)

QuannTan likes this.
  20. Saphiria

Yes, that is what I was referring too.

Nico likes this.