AI Memory

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Alir99, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Alir99

Alir99 The Guy Who Does Stuff Moderator Community Team

Hey I was thinking about making npc's more interesting to talk to. So for example now when you interact with them, you might get the generic"Hello, welcome to the shop, Alir99!" Would it be possible for them to remember the last time you visited and/or bought something from them, and they use that in their dialogue. So for example the above speech would turn into "Welcome back, Alir99! Did you manage to hunt anything with that bow?"

2. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

This is definitely our intention. The NPC dialogue plugin is very flexible, so it is already (in theory) able to handle very complex conversations that dynamically change each time.

What is missing is the actual memory at the moment. We will need to have an internal discussion on how to effectively handle that. It's a matter of storing all the new information in an easily accessible manner.

Once I get back home from my vacation (this weekend), I'll add some dynamic dialogues that don't need player specific memory. Stuff like treating you differently based on bank balance, talking about the amount of exporting being done, etc.

3. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

Would it be possible to have the NPCs understand other greetings? I always say "Hey" and they don't understand me. Maybe have them also understand goodbyes?

4. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

The tech is there. It was bugged and it may have been fixed. I'll just need to edit the dialogues. What Alex added is the ability to add synonyms, so we can define any number of greetings the NPC will understand.

Goodbyes is a good point. Somehow that escaped me :D

5. Saphiria

I always say it to be polite then I realize they don't have reputation added. I want to make sure they vote for me. :p

6. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

There is actually reputation built in from my understanding. Just not in use with dialogues.

7. Saphiria

Oh! Great, I think they like me. ;)

8. MisterErwin

MisterErwin Administrator Administrator Developer

Yupp. There are a few things implemented, more planned - and a few dreams (looking into the neural net corner)

My goal is to add "intelligence" to NPCs. This includes (limited) memory, decision making, etc (but performance is important[and again, a look into that corner]).