Crafting

Discussion in 'General' started by Saphiria, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

I was wondering if crafting is a skill everyone needs to learn, or if I can stick to buying and trading all ready crafted items? The reason is because I personally don't even like vanilla crafting, and most likely won't try to craft to advanced items in the game.

2. jamestiger

jamestiger Known Citizen

I was wondering that also, as a bard, I don't think I'd be much good at smithing or anything.

3. Saphiria

I personally assume you can do anything no matter what your role is, for example a doctor can still be a expert crafter (as long as he/she has the want to learn that skill). My question is, can I personally chose not to be a crafter and depend on others to craft things. I know its not a wise choice, but I just don't want to craft... Crafting never was for me, vanilla or custom.

4. jamestiger

jamestiger Known Citizen

That's how I feel, though I may touch crafting a bit more than I am planning to in the future, dependent on how the character develops or if we can create another. Ooh maybe I could take up hunting as a pass time, people need to eat.

5. Saphiria

Hunting would be a very interesting "skill"! Its one I haven't seen mentioned much. I too will probably explore crafting more after I develop my character, master the economy, and maybe win an election or two.

6. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

I have a feeling crafting will be getting a lot of attention during the beta. In the sense, I think as we see how players interact with it, it will dictate how we move forward with it.

7. Tomas

Tomas Owner Owner Administrator

The whole experience doesn't have "skills" on purpose. There are no skills that have numbers. You don't to increase skill A before you can do X. We originally started with the idea of skills (this is 2 years ago) and even levels - but soon we realised it has been done too many times.

When it comes to crafting, there are no skill numbers. Instead, it is actually fairly difficult to craft items.
    • You need to find the recipe - in a book, from other players, from NPCs.
    • You need to get the ingredients.
    • You need to find the correct places to craft the components.
    These are actually quite difficult if you think about it. Our recipes have multiple steps, you might need to craft 5 different items to then craft your final item. The ingredients may be difficult to get. Also (this is something we are experimenting with), we have different crafting areas. So you might need to find a mill to make flour. We are also experimenting with minigames within crafting.

This also links into politics very well. Some ingredients you will have to import (you won't find them on the island). Some recipes you'll have to learn from NPCs, who only share it once they like you enough. And some crafting stations will need to be built by towns. So it is a very robust and interlinked system. Crafting is not something you do when you want to clean up your inventory. It is linked to everything around you - and requires a good deal of effort.

That said, it is completely viable (especially in later releases - may be less viable in this first beta), to completely avoid crafting. You are able to sell your crafted items to NPCs, from where other players can buy the item. So you as a non-crafter can source all your stuff from NPCs. You can also buy it from players directly. I'd imagine if you are a crafter, you are happy to sell your stuff to players in exchange for money.

8. Tomas

There is some information on crafting in the wiki.

9. Draconis

Draconis Citizen

One thing that I was wondering is if there are no requirements if there was such a scenario when a veteran crafter finds a lot of the high level recipes then he tells a new player about the high level crafting recipes, would the new player also be able to craft the high level items?

10. Tomas

Yup, if someone knows how to craft it and has all the stuff, they would be able to craft the item.
    I don't think that is a bad thing. There are no artificial barriers you have to overcome.

You could theoretically make a business, where you employ players to craft items for you. And other players to supply to components.

Keep in mind two things though. First, the components are hard to obtain (and valuable). It is unlikely a new player would easily get their hands on everything they need.

Secondly, the recipes are complex. It is not the case of "Ok, let's combine three things and get a sword". There are multiple steps. Someone who spends a lot of time crafting (veteran crafter) would know how to craft things effectively. They might make an iron sword in 2 minutes, if they have all the components. If you gave the written recipe to someone who doesn't craft, it would take them much longer to actually put the items together (perhaps even 10+ minutes).

So while you don't gain skill numbers, there is going to be a big difference between a new crafter and a veteran crafter. The skill difference is stored in the actual people playing the game, rather than on our server databases. :)

11. Saphiria

I can always use the beta as a chance to experiment with crafting, who knows, I may love it.

That makes much more sense now. Thanks for all the explaining.

12. jamestiger

jamestiger Known Citizen

*gasp* They DO have cooking! YEEEESSSSSSS Adding cooking to Cris's hobbies.. now!