Org36's Bugs/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by org36, Jul 17, 2016.

1. org36

org36 Citizen Ambassador

Directory
    [NI]: Not Important: Bug can be avoided/made to have less effects. Fix when possible.
    We can live without this suggestion. Throw it at the backburner.

[VI]: Very Important: Bug affects gameplay greatly. Fix ASAP.
    We'll have trouble playing without this suggestion.

Bugs

[NI] Withdrawing money from the bank while having a full inventory deletes the money. Beware, people with cluttered inventories!

[NI] On occasion, when opening up the Metal Mixer GUI and trying to put an ore in, it will delete the ore. Seems to not happen more than once at a time, so don't put a stack of iron ore into the mixer if you don't want to risk them getting deleted!

[NI] Mobs sometimes die upon spawning. Us players love the free loot, by all means, but still a bug.

[VI] Due to the OP health regeneration that regenerates health from food saturation added in 1.9 along with the no-regen thing in Minecraft Frontiers, when you have at least half a heart of damage your saturation will go down way faster than if you had full health. (In Nico's thread)

[NI] When two people with the same first letter of their username are on the server and you spam tab using the first letter, provided one of them has a two-part RP name (e.g. Orgem Saterl) the first part (Orgem) won't be deleted and the second part is replaced by the second person's name.

Suggestions

[VI] Increase/balance the range of the swords in regards to the mobs' range or people are going to exclusively use bows once they're implemented for hunting. Though this doesn't change the fact wolves will teleport and jump your face if that wasn't fixed by the time bows are out, thereby nullifying the range advantage bows have over mobs.

[NI] Add an NPC in the exports office that will tell the players how much an item is being exported for, along with general information such as the exports tax and what item has the most/least demand. This lets crafters decide on what to craft and also whether they should sell their items or wait.

[NI] Recipe molds, made using two gold components which are made by gold in the metal former (inverse of the item you're trying to make a mold of, split into half). I'm thinking about having some way to use the mold to automatically make the shape in the former. Basically makes crafting via metal former smoother. For recipes that use the same shape, name it generally (dowel mold).

[NI] Recipe/Job Mastery. For example, if you have mined a lot of iron ores, you have a 0.001% chance of getting double the ores. Or, if you have crafted a lot of jewellery with small knifes and blacksmith's hammers, you have a 0.001% chance to keep the knife or blacksmith hammer each. The chance increases slightly for every action you do in the respective recipe/job and has a cap according to the balance of MF. This won't be gamebreakingly OP but is akin to sort of winning a lottery; you save resources on tools or get a little extra stuff.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Saphiria likes this.
  2. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

Thanks for the really well organized list! I am in the process of scheduling our next set of features and bug fixes and will definitely take all these into consideration.

3. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

I really love the format for this. I hope others see this and do it the same way.

4. org36

org36 Citizen Ambassador

Honestly the directory thing is a subtle nudge to say I either don't care much of this bug/suggestion or this bug/suggestion affects gameplay greatly for other players/me. The two VIs I have up there both affect gameplay greatly (food bug makes you eat way more than you need to, sword range for combat determines the difficulty of a melee mob fight) while the NIs are just something that don't affect players that much and can go in the backburner but would be nice to have/fix in the future.

(Though I haven't mentioned teleporting wolves since you guys probably know about that already. Those things are no fun.)

5. QuannTan

QuannTan Retired Staff Retired Staff

The Recipe/Job mastery would be a nice feature. Or some type of job mastery allowing for people to be better than others at their job.. :D

But I can agree that it's probably not of the biggest issue at the moment!

6. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

This is a topic @Tomas and I have talked about a lot. We are very much not looking to add "mastery". We don't believe that putting in more time (Grinding) should just automatically make you better. We do however, believe there should be a skill aspect, that if you get good at, will help you.

At this time the crafting is missing that "skill" requirement. We have some plans to address this in future updates. I can't go into much detail as it is still in early planning. I very much do want to see this expanded instead of requiring complicated crafting recipes to be the "skill/difficulty" aspect.

7. org36

org36 Citizen Ambassador

Very, extremely minor bug.
    1. Probably unavoidable, but the names of the NPCs flash in tab for a *very* brief moment when the player "loads" them. Most players probably won't even see this bug, and everyone doesn't care so push this straight to the back. This is probably hard to fix if you can even fix it. (The reason I even know about this is because I have a REALLY bad habit with pressing the Tab button.)

MORE SUGGESTIONS!

[NI] This suggestion is for reputation, so there may be some things that I said you guys already planned, with reference to this post http://www.minecraftfrontiers.com/forums/threads/feature-reputation.509/ .

1. You can gift NPCs things for a *very* small reputation boost by saying to them the word "gift", perhaps with the item in your hand or with a GUI to put an item into? A general reputation boost gift would be jewellery (everyone loves it), while the gifts that will have a big boost would be items pertaining to their job (Roghar would be pleased to get armor, or, uh, whatever that baker's name was would be pleased to receive flour.) and the gifts that would give less/negative boosts would be things completely unrelated to their job. Gifting items they sell will automatically deduct rep (This means if there's a jeweller NPC, he will be the only one who will have rep deducted for getting gifted jewellery). There will be a cap on this so you don't reach high repute through grinding - perhaps at Renowned or Respected?

Side effects of this may include faster restocking of the shop if gifted ingredients.

2. Crafting requests. If you have a high reputation (perhaps when you're in Respected?), you can ask the job-specific NPC to craft an item for you if you give them the core components (wood, types of ores, wheat) given that you have the item (can be determined by having one of the item already and holding it in your hand). This would be sort of a large batch sort of thing that you can't possibly craft in a day (e.g. trying to craft 100 gold bracelets, having the materials but not wanting to spend the entire day and more using the metal former to make iron dowels) and would also cost money, which depends on how valuable the item is, your reputation with the NPC (NPC's faction? idk. I'll just say it's the NPC's reputation), how many you want crafted and the recipe complexity. The items would be ready after one real life day. This is probably something that'll be extra hard to code.

Other players with higher reputation with the NPC can override your request with their own request, which will make your request be ready in 1+1 real life day along with however much time the NPC needs to restock their shop inbetween all requests. People who are in the Respected tier will have a cap of 50 items, Renowned will have a cap of 100 items, up to Fabled being able to request 200 items per request. NPCs will only take one request per person per real-life month.

Side effects of this may include suspension of shop restocking for a real life day.

*Note: Can be changed to suit the balance.

3. Quests. Now this is probably something you guys have already thought about but not mentioned, so I'll just elaborate. You can get quests if you have a good reputation with the NPC. The contents of the quests could be something from "Kill [person]" if that person is hated by the NPC or the NPC is a follower of Phaedron, "Collect x number of [item]" to something as mild as "Deliver [item] to [NPC]". For the second type of quest, you could steal the item that was meant to be delivered instead which would significantly lower your reputation with the NPC along with no more Deliver requests from the NPC for a while. Rewards may include money to items the NPCs sell.

Side effects may include having less stock in the NPC's shop, if the NPC rewards the person with items.

Okay, end of Reputation Suggestions. Now to throw other suggestions in!

[NI] Add a NPC that manages imports in addition to the NPC suggested up above which manages exports. A player can request for an import of a rare crafting component (e.g. Sunflowers, which we cannot get currently) through this NPC, ask how much the imports tax is and other general information, such as the price of the crafting components. The imports have to be approved by the Trade Minister before they will go through. If the Trade Minister neither approves or disapproves the imports in a real-time week, it is automatically approved to lessen the effects of the Trade Minister possibly going on a hiatus.

[NI] This suggestion is for the housing/plot update. There could be certain designs where the owner has their own private Iron Mixer & Former, Well, or some other unreleased profession machine, along with a crafting table. These make it more convenient for jobs such as blacksmiths or bakers to craft items as they have both storage which can store any components they need and their profession machine nearby. Similar to how you can get water through the wall at the Blacksmith, except it's not through a wall, and you can store your items when crafting to not have a mess of an inventory. Possibly for the larger/more expensive ones?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  8. Zombie_Striker

Zombie_Striker Citizen

This is most likely a side effect of the Citizens plugin. The only way to create NPCs would be if you send a "packet" saying that an actual player has joined. This means that all features that would apply to a regular player would apply to that NPC, which includes the tab button. This seems like something that may be "unfixable" at the moment.
    Speaking for the team, I think their idea is to treat NPCs as though they were actual players and have individual experiences between players. That means that quests would only be able to be activated once for one player on the entire server, or else you will have dozens of people killing the same thing/ getting the same thing for the NPC, which is not very immersive.
    I think they already have an idea how the imports will work, since they included a bit in the Trade Minister's description saying that he will control what is imported.
    This is something I would also like to see, but I think this can be expanded as well. Having something where the player can choose to have special "rooms" in the house would be very helpful. An example of this would be to have a blacksmithing room, a storage room, or having an area to grow food or raise livestock.

9. org36

org36 Citizen Ambassador

Suggestions: The 3rd Edition
    [VI] Prepare special measures for if someone with a political position needs to go on a hiatus or cannot come onto MF. As the Trade Minister manages exports/imports, we might need to import something, but if they're inactive, we might not be able to import it. This is referenced in an above suggestion of mine.

[NI] Special events. Now, these aren't those scheduled events on Saturdays: these are events where the economy changes suddenly. There could be an epidemic, and you could sell potions to the House of Healing for a high ppu, or there is a drought, making food sell for a high ppu to whoever is gonna sell food. This would NOT affect exports but instead affect the NPCs in Elpida. (Might affect imports though.)

[VI] Currently the server is not friendly to newbies. Like, the older players are, by all means, very helpful, but the Getting Started page doesn't tell the player where to get wood to make an axe, where the apple orchard is, or even where to split logs. New players aren't gonna walk to the Main Square in Elpida and say, "Oh look, there's the Main Square!". I suggest having one of the artists draw a map of Elpida to put on the Getting Started page: otherwise new players will get lost, more lost, and not get anywhere. New players basically have a 100% chance of wandering off into the wilderness the first time they log on, so they literally might not even GET to Elpida until they die and respawn at the hospital. (Literally what happened during my first day on. I also ran out of food. Should give directions for apples in the page.)

[NI] Possible future crafting suggestion: Component quality, which affects item quality. This makes an item of the highest quality incredibly expensive to make, while the lowest quality would be relatively cheap. Tools' quality required in crafting will also affect the quality. Here's an example (quality tiers before examples):
    Transcendant (Highest) (1st)
    Impossible (2nd)
    Forgotten (3rd)
    Mythic (Lowest for Special craftable) (4th)
    Perfect (Highest for normally craftable) (5th)
    Unique (6th)
    Fine (7th)
    Normal (lowest) (8th)

Normally craftable:
    All components (handles, picks, blades) are Normal at first; however, they can be "upgraded" with the specific tool of the profession (blacksmithing hammer for blacksmithing, not sure for chefs - milling stones?). These tools can only upgrade the component if the tool is of higher quality, but each upgrade will only upgrade the quality by 1 tier no matter what the tool tier. These tools can also upgrade each other; so 2 Normal hammers for 1 Fine hammer, 4 hammers for 1 Unique hammer and 8 hammers for a Perfect hammer. This means you would need a minimum of 14 hammers to upgrade a component to Perfect with this. Crafted items will also default to the quality of the lowest-quality component, so to craft a perfect item would cost about 28 - 70 hammers due to most items having at least 2 components. Fully crafted items cannot be upgraded with the tool.

Special craftable:
    Now this part is the interesting part: to get a hammer to Mythic, you'll need two Perfect hammers (16 hammers) - and a Mysterious Essence. The only way to get it will be through events and quests, if quests are implemented, and there won't be much essence per event/quest. You would need 2 Mysterious Essence and 32 hammers for Forgotten, 4 Mysterious Essence and 64 hammers for Impossible, and 8 Mysterious Essence and 128 hammers for one Transcendant hammer. This means, for 1 Transcendant component, it costs at least 15 Mysterious Essence and 254 hammers. A Transcendant item could be from 30 Mysterious Essence and 508 hammers to 75 Mysterious Essence and 1270 hammers! It would take actual effort to make a Transcendant item (to the point of a grindfest) and Mysterious Essence is very limited; similar to how artists spent years on a single piece of art, and back then, materials such as pastels were definitely not as available as it is now.

Alright I'm done with this. Not sure how much I typed for the crafting suggestion, but honestly I would like Quality to be implemented just so there is a goal crafters can work towards instead of endlessly craft the same item.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  10. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

I agree, we need to look into a better way to guide / help players when they join. Especially if they join when nobody is online. We have talked about a tutorial, a book, and many other things. Any ideas?

11. org36

org36 Citizen Ambassador

Coordina - oh wait. Dammit Tom.

On a serious note, a video tutorial would be pretty helpful for new players; a map of Elpida on the Getting Started page which includes the docks can work as well. If the devs have a LOT of time, give newbies a compass that has a GUI with different locations, which the compass will point to after selecting that location.

I would say that the video tutorial showcasing what different interactable "machines" there are would be useful in combination with the compass.

PS: Occasionally prompt that you can use /chat global to chat globally. Spent about 1 hour running around before I figured out how to use that dang command.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  12. Zombie_Striker

Zombie_Striker Citizen

I think the wiki is fine since that is the place players need to get used to using. For the actual page, there are currently four things that new players need to know:
    • Where are places
    • How to get food
    • How to make money
    • How to get materials for crafting
    Mechanics and actual recipes are things that can be taught later. Currently, the getting started page only covers the last point. For point one, there needs to be map on the getting started page, with directions showing which paths to take to get to certain areas. Simple as that. For point two, you need to show players where the apple orchard (and any new food areas you wish to add) are located. For the third section, there needs to be at least some mention of how to use the exports office.

BTW: There some some changes you might want to make to the wiki.
    1. Getting started pages should not be the steps you might want to take, but all the things all players will need in order to play.
    2. The guide should (and at this current point in time, is) be followed for all player. If players don't follow the guide, they will have to ask other players (which is what is happening now) and may not fully understand the importance of the wiki if it is "not necessary to follow".
    Although this may be good for getting the lore for the server, there are not enough lines of dialog for most NPCs to be useful at the moment. If someone was able to write and make more NPCs and dialog choices to tell the lore and give help, then this would be useful. If you are overloaded with bugfixes and features to add, this may be something that the community could help with.

Since items don't drop anymore and money seems to just disappear when the player dies, this seems like a bad idea. You may want to consider removing or editing this suggestion.

[edit] I just saw the map on the getting started page. You may want to update it to have all the roads that are in the game.

13. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

What about a guiding NPC? : D That seems way cooler-ish.

Non-Player Character : D
    Maybe with some default questions from the FAQ included, so he will stay at the docks somewhere and people can go there for their questions :33

I've heard they already have plans for something big with crafting, so maybe it's best for them to finish that first before new stuff =3
    Also I think that new systems would be good enough without this, since they compared it to Tinkers Construct. However this still might be interessting for food, deciding how much food points it will regen?