Crafting

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by eragon43, Jul 13, 2016.

1. eragon43

eragon43 Known Citizen Ambassador

I would like to suggest a new way of crafting. It might be a bit hard to understand so if you have questions pls ask them. At the moment the only hard part about crafting is finding the recipe. The moment you find the recipe its not really hard anymore. All you need to do then is get the ingredients. I think you can change this by focussing less on the recipe and more on the components.

The components used would determine the stats of the sword. A short iron blade would have less range than a long iron blade, but a long iron blade would take more stamina. The quality of the handle would decrease or increase the stamina used.

For example:
    If you crafted 2 short blades and a sturdy handle together, you would have a sword that has a short range, a low stamina use and a low damage.
    If you crafted a 2 long iron blades and a sturdy handle together, You would have a sword with high damage, high stamina use and a high range.
    If you crafted a sword with a short blade, a long blade and a sturdy handle, you would have a sword with a average damage,
    average stamina use and an average range.
    If you crafted a long blade, a short blade and a fine comfortable handle, you would have a sword with average damage, average range and low stamina use.
    If you crafted a long blade, a short blade and an imperfect sick, you would have a sword with average damage, average range and a very high stamina use
    etc...

This would tremendously increase the possibilities of crafting as you can very precisely choose your stats. You can choose if you want to attack fast or slow, low damage or high damage, short range or long range.

You could also have combinations that would boost the stats a little bit. If you used a fire coated short blade (this is not an component yet) with a fine short blade it could maybe increase the damage a little bit. If you used the fine comfortable handle with a fine long blade it might increase the range a little bit. By finding and using the combinations you can make the possibility of making mastercrafted swords.

Using this would also mean you will really have to understand how things work in order to use them. You wont be able to be a blacksmith one day and a cook the next because you won't understand the combinations or the way components work together. You would need to be taught by someone who does understand the combinations.

I have only used swords to demonstrate my idee, but i think you could use this for almost everything in the game: armor, shields, food, alchemy jewellery ...

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, English is not my native language. And quan, you might recognize this (my signature).

2. MisterErwin

MisterErwin Administrator Administrator Developer

We already have a draft for part based tools. (Which is somewhat like it is done in TinkersConstruct)

So it is on the ToDo list :)

3. eragon43

That's good, but will it apply to everything?
    Not only tools but also food, armor, alchemy...

4. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

For Alchemy it would be nice. For example, both fire dust and fire gel add Fire Resistance.
    However fire dust would conflict with ice dust that gives water breathing, and fire gel would conflict with bat wings that add Jump Boost.

The above examples are way too OP I know, but using this you would first haev to think about what you want as result and then how to get the least conflicts by choosing ingredients. The more expsensive ingredients conflict with less other stuff, but just are more expensive.

Conflicting would mean debuffs, like slowness. For each conflict 1 level of slowness would be added and it's time extended by 10 sec. This would mean it is really important to get as less conflicts as possible.

This is meant as an addition for original post, just more in detail of how I would like it for Alchemy. Since Alchemy doesn't have a fancy system anyway :D

5. MisterErwin

You do not know our (real) alchemy system yet :p

Because that one is quite different from what you have seen before :p

hastearms likes this.
  6. Nico

Nico Known Citizen

I've worked with a lot of different alchemy systems xD
    But from what I've seen now it's just crafting, so I just assumed you didn't have anything for it yet :p

7. QuannTan

QuannTan Retired Staff Retired Staff

Tinkerers construct.. *drools*

But besides all this, wouldn't we still all be able to just memorize the recipe and the items needed? :)

8. eragon43

yes but there would be hundreds of recipes

9. MisterErwin

And that is why players should specialize them self :)

10. tcvs

tcvs Administrator Administrator Developer

The current "health potions" are in no way using our alchemy system. So you can not base it off any of the systems we currently have.

MisterErwin likes this.