Hitsuki (火月) - The Burning Moon - Origin

Discussion in 'Custom Lore' started by DDevil_, Apr 12, 2016.

1. DDevil_

DDevil_ Citizen

So you might have noticed by now that Hitsuki isn't my real name and you might be asking yourself, what is my real name. Well, I don't know, I never knew, there is a belief in our culture that says if there is a bastard kid (which is a kid that is born out of the marriage), that kid will betray the family because his origins is a betrayal. So what most families do is that they give the child to an orphanage to prevent rumors and any possible future betrayal.

So when I was practically a baby I was sent into this living hell people call orphanage, this place is probably where I lived my whole childhood, it was a school, it was a house, it was a hospital, it was everything, it was also hell on Earth, but, back to my name.

You can use a kanji to write other kanji, so when we are children, since there are a lot of different kanjis, our teachers usually try to teach them by either trying to create images of them or telling us some stories.

For example, the kanji 人 (Hito) which means person. They tried to tell us that the two strokes that compose the kanji looks like two legs, and if you look at it, it kind of looks like a person.

Now, the kanji 火 (Hi/Fire) that we've seen before is written with the kanji for person and two other small strokes. If you look at the two strokes they kind of look like hands, and held upwards, and again if you look at the kanji now, it looks like there is a person and it's running with his hands in the air, so they tell us a story to memorize this kanji which is: "If you touch fire with your hands, it will burn you and you'll run away with your hands in the sky trying to cool them down and heal the burn".

And when we came back to our dormitories and our inspector was gone we'd tell horror stories to one another, and 水 (Mizu, Water) was a master of creating horror stories and she'd tell us this story:

"The 火 kanji's story isn't like the teacher told us, the thing is that a long time ago, before the kanji was created, there was a person called "Hi". She was a woman who lived away from the town, in everybody was suspicious of her because she seemes so weird. So one day a group of kids wanted to find out what was so weird about her, so they followed her to her home and when they got there they peeked at the window to see what she was doing, then they saw her doing something with black magic, he got so scared they started screaming, and the witch noticed them, so she caught them, but one managed to escape her and returned to the town and called the guards. When they finally arrived back at the house, the witch had burning the two kids, so the guards brought her back to the town and burned her alive and that's how she used to live in was the town next to this orphanage".

The problem was that, the budget of the orphanage depends on how many kids were there, so if the orphanage has more kids, it means it has more money, so what the director did was to get the maximum number of kids she could inside the orphanage, and to reduce costs and increase profit, she treated us like animals. You may have noticed that I used the word "profit", that is because the money that came to the orphanage was actually being sent to her account for her own use.

We were really abused there, and we were sick of it, and since 水 (Mizu) and I were best friends, we planned that on her 15th birthday we would flee from there, as her birthday present.

And when the day finally came, everything fell apart. The director had overheard us talking while we were telling stories, and she told us: "So you like witch stories... Do you know what happens when someone discovers a witch?"

She tied us up and threw us in the back of her carroage. I could see the terror inside Mizu's eyes, so I told her the biggest lie I ever told in my life: "Everything's going to be okay"

When we arrive at somewhere really far away from the orphanage she got us out of the car and started trying something smelly at us. I didn't know at the time but that was oil and she was planning to burn both of us alive and she did. She left a trail of oil, lit it, left us there amd simply left.

It wasn't a long before we could feel the fire near us. I still remember when I actually started to burn, but more clearer than that I remember the the scream of Mizu. And just like her name, it sounded like she was evaporating away. And after breathing so much smoke, I passed out.

The only thing I remember after that, is that I didn't know how, but I was alive, seriously injured, but alive, and I was at a village, completely envolved in tissues and I couldn't speak, but there was a man next to me, and he was staring at me like I was a ghost, and I couldn't blame him.

It turns out he had saved me. Two months had passed, and then he told me his story. He was looking for wood when then he saw two poles burnt down, but I was the only one there. He took me to his village and the people there took care of me. I asked him about Mizu but she was nowhere to be found. I still haven't found her to this day, but even if I did, I don't know how I would be able to look at her face.

The only thing that was found there was a small piece of paper with the following words:

この人の名前は火月です. 彼は良い親友だ.彼を世話しますください.

Since they didn't know my name, and neither did I, they kept the name 火月, and I grew with them.
    I still haven't found Mizu, I don't even know if she is dead or alive, but I promised to myself that I would find her, I need to know what happened, where is her? What happened in all those years?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. GiantLion11

GiantLion11 Citizen

That was pretty intense...

Was kind of hard to follow for me personally just because Chinese and Japanese characters confuse the hell out of me but anyways, super cool, and a pretty nice backstory. I'd like to see this edited and continued for a bit tbh.

3. nidoranz

nidoranz Citizen

lol 火月,你是不是华人?

4. DDevil_

DDevil_ Citizen

Wow, thank you! I'm really happy that you liked it :D Ooooh I also know the struggle when you see letters like this (日本語は難しいです ・-・) and you're like:
    [​IMG]
    Before I learned japanese I used to make this face a lot, I still make it actually, while thinking:
    I'll write a bit more because I wrote this 1AM and when I finished I forgot to save a part of it so when I was going to post it and I saw that a (big) part of the text was missing, I considered rewriting it, but then I was like:
    [​IMG]
    But I'll write more as soon as I can ^_^ Thanks for the feedback :)
    ごめんなさあああああい、けど中国人じゃない、中国語わかりません、ブラジル人です。日本は素晴らしいと思います、ですから、日本語を勉強します :D けどちょっとわかります (;﹏; )

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    tcvs likes this.
  5. Saphiria

Saphiria Retired Staff Retired Staff

Wow. Just wow. How long did it take you to learn Japanese? The symbols look like nothing. Well, I love the bio and this lore!

DDevil_ likes this.
  6. GiantLion11

GiantLion11 Citizen

Obviously a long time :eek:. Not even Google Translate makes a very coherent sentence.

DDevil_ likes this.
  7. DDevil_

DDevil_ Citizen

Thanks man :D
    I've been studying it for 6 months now, it's actually not extremely hard, the thing is that it is very very different from our usual, so it really weird when you start to mess around with it, but once you kind of "get your brain to think in this different and weird way", you find a lot of different linguistic tools our languages don't have that actually helps A LOT on communication and they just feel like
    [​IMG]
    I feel you bro, I know the struggle...
    Google Translate actually works, but only in a few specific situations (Like translating kanji (ex: 雨)), so yeah, it's really hard to use it ;-;

Here is the translated text if you guys are curious:
    I couldn't fully understand what he was asking for because it seemed like Chinese, and it was something along the lines of:
    I don't know if he's asking me if I'm chinese, if Hitsuki if chinese, all I know is that it has something to do with China. ;-;

And thanks a lot for the support guys :D

8. GiantLion11

GiantLion11 Citizen

Google translate says "Fire month , you are not Chinese?" so maybe he's asking if your character is Chinese? We really need to clarify this, because now I'm getting obsessive over what people are saying in other languages :D

9. DDevil_

DDevil_ Citizen

Oooh now I got it, everything makes sense now. He really is asking about the characther lol.

@nidoranz じゃない, ブラジル人です、その言語は日本語だ :D

Btw, the same kanji can also be read as 2 different things, 月 can be either be read as tsuki/moon or gatsu/month, so yeah...
    japanese logic for the win.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  10. nidoranz

nidoranz Citizen

my sentence means 'are u chinese?' and i am not in china but i am a chinese
    and i think 火月 means fire moon,if you want burning moon then its 燃烧的月亮(chinese) if in japanese,idk sry i don't really know how to write japanese

11. DDevil_

DDevil_ Citizen

Ooooh I see, actually the name really means Fire Moon, but when you add context, you can read it as Burning Moon without too many problems :D and oh, my, god... so many hanzi in chinese, you sir, have my respect, I barely know around 300 kanji and it's so hard to remember them, I can't imagine how to write only with kanji/hanzi (´。_。`)